This series is based off of Thom Rainer’s book, “I Am a Church Member.” Dr. Morehead and I led this series at Pentecostals of South Haven in the Winter of 2015. Each lesson is based off of the interactive EXCEL teaching model.
- Shake hands, get food
- Tell me something good about last week’s lesson
- 1) PEOPLE FIND ABOUT PREFERENCES– (The Handout for this activity is at the conclusion of this post)
- Who likes chocolate
- Who has a dog
- Who likes to shop
- Who likes southern gospel music
- Who likes seafood
- Who likes arts & crafts
- Who likes snow
- Who likes musicals
- Who likes to sew
- Who likes to bicycle
- Who likes Kid’s ministry
- Who likes to be in the choir
- We all have preferences, but church is not about our preferences
- 2) READ ALOUD: Read page 90-94
- We actually give up our preferences when we join. Church is about serving not being served.
- 3) SERVANT – Think about the word servant- who comes to mind/ why/ share out.
- Ms Cox
- Ms Frazier
- We will never find joy in church membership when we are seeking things our way. We will find the greatest joy when we seek to be last.
- 4) READ ALOUD: A survey that said a lot – Page 96-102
- 5) THINK/ PAIR/ SHARE: Give out 10 slips of paper with each dominant behavior pattern
- 6) READ ALOUD: Read pages 101-102
- 1) MIND OF CHRIST – Examine Philippians 2:5-11
- Philippians 2:5-11 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
- We must have the mind of Christ.
- Come up with a list of power words from that passage that we can write on a sticky note and pray over our owns minds this week such as
- No reputation – So huge (story of the first time my reputation was attacked publicly)
- Obedient unto death
- Even the death of the cross –disgraced, pride all gone, what others think means nothing
- Exalted by others (not by ourselves)
- READ THE 3RD PLEDGE – Page 104 – 106
- FORGIVENESS – Read story from Forgiveness book – his mom says seventy times seven
- CHALLENGE: I challenge you to intentionally ignore your preferences this week and treat someone who doesn’t deserve your kindness according to the bible
- Matthew 18:21-22 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
I AM A CHURCH MEMBER SERIES
LESSON ONE: INTRODUCTION
LESSON TWO: I WILL BE A FUNCTIONING CHURCH MEMBER
LESSON THREE: I WILL BE A UNIFYING CHURCH MEMBER
LESSON FOUR: I WILL NOT LET MY CHURCH BE ABOUT MY PREFERENCES
LESSON FIVE: I WILL PRAY FOR MY CHURCH LEADERS