This series is based off of Thom Rainer’s book, “I Am a Church Member.” Dr. Morehead and I led this series at Pentecostals of South Haven in the Winter of 2015. Each lesson is based off of the interactive EXCEL teaching model.
- Greet each person
- Tell me something good (general). Now find a partner to sit be (at least 10 years difference in age, I want to have different generations work together) and talk about all the good things about your church. Share out.
- 1) A TALE OF 2 CHURCH MEMBERS – Read intro – p 31-38
- 2) PAIR/SHARE – Describe the two different types of church members with your partner.
- 3) 5/3/1 ACTIVITY
- Brainstorm lists of adjectives for each-
- Liam – offended
- Michael- loving
- Share out 1 word for each
- 4) SELF REFLECTION – Who are you? Do you whine, find faults in others, second-guess leadership? Look at your whole self. Are you one person at work or school or with your family and another person in church?
- You are Michael or Liam in life. You are not one person in one setting and another person in another setting.
- We are all Michael and Liam. The goal is to recognize it and focus on becoming more like Michael and less like Liam. This book study is going to help us.
- 5) THE DIFFERENCE – Read p. 38-41
- Think pair share with your neighbor about what I just read. What is your big aha or take away?
- 1) THE JOURNEY – p. 42-44
- Write yourself a letter and seal in an envelope. Answer 2 questions honestly:
- First, really describe what kind of church member you are?
- Second, describe what kind of church member you wish to become (we should always be growing- when you stop learning you start dying).
- 2) On index card (no names required) what questions do you have? What topics do you want addressed in this study? What seems to trip you up as you serve the Lord. Be honest. We can help each other. Have the courage to put your question or comment down. Others may be struggling with it as well.
- Homework– read 1 Corinthians chapters 12,13, and 14
I AM A CHURCH MEMBER SERIES
LESSON ONE: INTRODUCTION
LESSON TWO: I WILL BE A FUNCTIONING CHURCH MEMBER
LESSON THREE: I WILL BE A UNIFYING CHURCH MEMBER
LESSON FOUR: I WILL NOT LET MY CHURCH BE ABOUT MY PREFERENCES
LESSON FIVE: I WILL PRAY FOR MY CHURCH LEADERS