This series is based off of Thom Rainer’s book, “I Am a Church Member.” Dr. Morehead and I led this series at Pentecostals of South Haven in the Winter of 2015. Each lesson is based off of the interactive EXCEL teaching model.
Shake hands with 2 people you have not talked to yet during the service. Each of you share a praise report- something you are thankful for- big or small.
Tell me something good!
- Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
- 1) TRAP ACTIVITY / GAME (David leads) – A huge point of this lesson is that the devil is intentionally setting “Traps” for pastors to hinder souls being saved. We will play “clothespin tag”, because the idea is not to get CAUGHT! (David will lead)
- CLOTHESPIN TAG – Mark off a designated play area by putting rope on the ground. All players are to receive 5 clothespins. They are then to pin them to their clothes. Have them all spread out around the edge of the rope before starting. The object is to pin your clothespins onto the other contestants. Once you are clear of all of your clothespins, you can then go to the designated “Safe Zone.” At the conclusion of this activity you will have two or three people covered in clothespins. This is a hilarious and high energy activity.
- 2) READ ALOUD – Read p110-115 (43-46) (Bobbi leads)
- TALK – Talk with your neighbor about this passage. What is one AHA you got from this passage? Be ready to share out.
- Bobbi’s AHA is – pastors/ leaders are so busy suppressing their own feelings/ grief, etc… To help others. This can be dangerous because the more a person neglects his or her own self care the greater the opportunity the enemy has to set traps that we will fall into because when you are exhausted you do not make the best decisions.
- 3) READ ALOUD – Read 1 Timothy 3:1-7 – Bobbi leads
- 1 Timothy 3:1-7 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
- The devil is intentionally setting traps for our pastor. We MUST pray for him.
David leads . . .
- 1) PRAYER FOR LEADERSHIP – We have Pastor and Sis Haner come sit on a chair (maybe family too). We actually pray for them.
- 2) PROTECTION (have them put on a makeshift vest or something with some scriptures on it and we gather around and pray for their protection using the scriptures
- 3) INTENTIONAL PRAYER – As we add each thing that we are praying for we add the word like reputation and a scripture that goes along with it and we add it to the vest
- REPUTATION – Ecc 7:1 A good name is better than precious ointment.
- PHYSICAL HEALTH – 3 John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. 3 For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth. 4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
- MENTAL HEALTH – Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- WISDOM – Exodus 31:3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship.
- DISCERNMENT – Malachi 3:16 Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.
- PEACE – Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
- By the end of this prayer activity we have added these words with a scripture on the vest and prayed specifically about it.
- Bobbi leads . . .
- 4TH PLEDGE – Read p126-129 (51 and 52)
- We must commit to praying for our pastor and family everyday for at least 5 minutes. Send them home with a postcard or flyer or one pager of all the scriptures/ words we ended up putting on their vests.
I AM A CHURCH MEMBER SERIES
LESSON ONE: INTRODUCTION
LESSON TWO: I WILL BE A FUNCTIONING CHURCH MEMBER
LESSON THREE: I WILL BE A UNIFYING CHURCH MEMBER
LESSON FOUR: I WILL NOT LET MY CHURCH BE ABOUT MY PREFERENCES
LESSON FIVE: I WILL PRAY FOR MY CHURCH LEADERS