This series is written in an interactive small group format. I have personally used this material for Student and HYPHEN ages, however, the content could be adjusted for any age group. The content is based on Zach Hunter’s book, “Be the Change.”
- Matthew 10:22 (KJV) And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
- Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me.
TALK: Go around the room and have everyone answer
- What does it mean to endure?
- What can help a person endure great hardship?
THE HEART OF THE MATTER:
While still in college, Jesse Owens one of the greatest track stars of all times earned a spot on the 1936 U.S. Olympic team. But there is something that you should know about these Olympics, which were held that year in Berlin, Germany. During this period of time, Nazi leader Adolf Hitler was trying to take over the world. Hitler presided over these Olympic games, hoping they would prove to the world that his white German athletes were superior to all other races and nationalities. Jesse proved him wrong by winning four gold medals. He was not only the first African American to win four gold medals in track and field, but the first American ever to do so.
There are also incredible Biblical accounts of endurance such as:
- Peter Denied Christ Three times, yet endured to speak on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:38).
- The Apostle Paul was shipped wrecked three times, left for dead yet wrote 1/3 of the new testament (Romans 8:35-39; 2 Corinthians 11:23-33).
- Joseph was falsely accused and thrown in prison yet he rose to be second command in the kingdom (Genesis chapters 37 – 50).
- Jesus battled with His flesh and cried if it be possible let this cup pass from me (responsibility of death) yet He willingly laid down His life so you and I could endure (Luke 22:42).
DISCUSSION: Go around the room and have everyone answer
- What can YOU PERSONALLY DO to help people who are suffering to endure?
- What can YOUR SMALL GROUP DO to help people who are suffering to endure?
TAKE ACTION: COMMUNITY CHALLENGE – Go around the room and have everyone answer
- Pray this week that God would give you compassion for people who are suffering – especially people who are not like you.
Many of life’s failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up – Thomas Edison (1847 – 1931) Scientist and Inventor)
1) INFLUENCE – BE THE CHANGE
2) COMMUNITY – BE THE CHANGE
3) COURAGE – BE THE CHANGE
4) LEADERSHIP – BE THE CHANGE
5) COMPASSION – BE THE CHANGE
6) ENDURANCE – BE THE CHANGE
7) SACRIFICE – BE THE CHANGE
8) STANDING FIRM – BE THE CHANGE