This series is written in an interactive small group format. I have personally used this material for Student and HYPHEN ages, however, the content could be adjusted for any age group. The content is based on Zach Hunter’s book, “Be the Change.”
Joshua 1:9b (The Message) “…Strength! Courage! Don’t be timid; don’t get discouraged. God, your God, is with you every step you take.”
TALK: Go around the room and have everyone answer
- Have you ever had to push past a fear?
- How did you do it?
THE HEART OF THE MATTER:
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is when you choose to acknowledge your fear, and look it in the face. What are you afraid of? Failure? If everyone knew a mistake you’ve made? Often, it’s our fear that keeps us where we are and prevents us from getting close to God and to others. If you have a fear of the unknown, go on a missions trip to a country you have never been. If you are afraid of failure, try something new that you may not be good at. It’s important to acknowledge and confront our fears so we can move past them.
Breaking free from fear is one of the most liberating feelings in the world. By liberating yourself from fear, you open the door of your mind, allowing the room once occupied by fear to be filled with creativity and passion. And when creativity and passion come in and clean things out, you are able to care about more than yourself and your fears. And that is a good thing.
Joshua 1:9… (The Message) “Be strong and courageous, Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
DISCUSSION: Go around the room and have everyone answer
- Whom do you know that is courageous?
- How do you think they got that way?
- How would life be different if you were more courageous?
- How can you help others overcome their fears?
TAKE ACTION: COMMUNITY CHALLENGE – Go around the room and have everyone answer
- What is one fear AS AN INDIVIDUAL that you will confront this week?
- BONUS CHALLENGE: What is one fear AS A SMALL GROUP that WE will confront this week?
- Isaiah 41:10 says, “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot.” Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962) Former First Lady and Human-Activist
1) INFLUENCE – BE THE CHANGE
2) COMMUNITY – BE THE CHANGE
3) COURAGE – BE THE CHANGE
4) LEADERSHIP – BE THE CHANGE
5) COMPASSION – BE THE CHANGE
6) ENDURANCE – BE THE CHANGE
7) SACRIFICE – BE THE CHANGE
8) STANDING FIRM – BE THE CHANGE
7 thoughts on “3) COURAGE – BE THE CHANGE”