This series is written in an interactive small group format. I have personally used this material for Student and HYPHEN ages, however, the content could be adjusted for any age group. The content is based on Zach Hunter’s book, “Be the Change.”
- Proverbs 18:16 A man’s gift maketh room for him, and bringeth him before great men.
- Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
TALK: Go around the room and have everyone answer
- What do you think you’re uniquely qualified to do in serving God and others?
THE HEART OF THE MATTER:
Winston Churchill was one of the most important leaders in modern British history -an influential politician statesman and author. But what really made him a good leader? Many admire his characteristic wit and wisdom. I’ve always appreciated his stubborn refusal to give up and his willingness to do the right thing (even when it was difficult.) Churchill had some significant flaws-but that’s how we are all. There’s always room to grow and improve, and we can’t wait until we get ourselves straightened out to try to make a difference. I believe God can use us even with our weaknesses.
Many believe Churchill had a mild stuttering problem when he was younger, which made public speaking hard for him. Yet he overcame whatever problems, he had with the stutter and became one of the most inspirational speakers in History. This is the type of leader we need to be. I also want to overcome my challenges with God’s help, so I can encourage others and avoid causing anyone else to stumble.
DISCUSSION: Go around the room and have everyone answer
- Is there a time you felt a prompting from God to do something but didn’t because you were afraid of failing or that others would not accept your leadership?
- Are there areas of your life you need to “clean up” with God’s help in order to clear the way for leading?
- What kind of person do you like to follow? What makes a good leader?
- What type of leader do you want to be?
TAKE ACTION: COMMUNITY CHALLENGE – Go around the room and have everyone answer
Find two or three people who are not involved and ask God to provide you with opportunities to show these people grace and kindness this week. Lead by example.
If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well. – Martin Luther King, Jr.
1) INFLUENCE – BE THE CHANGE
2) COMMUNITY – BE THE CHANGE
3) COURAGE – BE THE CHANGE
4) LEADERSHIP – BE THE CHANGE
5) COMPASSION – BE THE CHANGE
6) ENDURANCE – BE THE CHANGE
7) SACRIFICE – BE THE CHANGE
8) STANDING FIRM – BE THE CHANGE