Each and every one of us are searching to have our needs met. Psychologist Dr. William Glasser identifies the five following areas of need that we are all striving to satisfy:
- 1) SURVIVAL/ SAFETY
- 2) LOVE/ BELONGING
- 3) POWER/ EMPOWERMENT
- 4) FUN/ ENJOYMENT
- 5) FREEDOM/ CHOICES
THE WORD OF GOD
ADDRESSES OUR NEEDS
- Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
- Matthew 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
- Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
- Ephesians 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
THE WORD OF GOD
MEETS OUR NEEDS
1) SURVIVAL/ SAFETY: Food, clothing, shelter, health, security
- Luke 9:11 And the people, when they knew it, followed him: and he received them, and spake unto them of the kingdom of God, and healed them that had need of healing.
- Matthew 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32. (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
- Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.
2) LOVE/BELONGING: Friendship, caring, involvement, connectedness, togetherness
- Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
- Proverbs 18:24 A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
3) POWER/ EMPOWERMENT: Importance, recognition, skill, competence, achievement,
- Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
- Luke 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
4) FUN/ ENJOYMENT: Motivation, pleasure, learning, laughter, relevance, meaning
- Ecclesiastes 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
- Ecclesiastes 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
- Proverbs 1:5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
5) FREEDOM/ CHOICES: Independence, liberty, autonomy, space, individually
- John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
- John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
- 2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
- Philippians 4:12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; (SECURITY) he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted (LOVE AND BELONGING), to preach deliverance to the captives (FREEDOM), and recovering of sight to the blind (POWER), to set at liberty them that are bruised, 19. To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.