My wife and I recently read an incredible book entitled, Praying Circles Around Your Children by Mark Batterson. Batterson gives parents and leaders of children a great idea on how to pray for your kids. He says that our life is made of lists- a grocery list, an invite list, and a to-do list, why not create prayer lists? He writes . . .
“In fact, prayer is not about our agenda for God at all; it’s about discovering God’s agenda for us. But once we discover His agenda, we have to write it down. In my experience, it’s very difficult to pray with specificity, intentionality, and consistency without a prayer list. And for the record, I encourage you to keep a record. Then you can give God the glory when He answers your prayers.”
My wife took this to heart and created a prayer list for our four-year-old daughter Rose. We have listed qualities that are prescriptive (what we desire to see) and descriptive (qualities she has that we want to encourage) that we are praying will come into fruition in her life. We pray that Rose Marie Morehead will be . . .
- COMMITTED – I pray that Rose will always love truth and stand for Acts 2:38.
- AMBITIOUS – I pray that she will reach her full potential in Jesus and dream big dreams and do big things by loving and serving others and leading many people to Christ.
- COMPASSIONATE – I pray Rose always sees those who are hurting and that she helps vulnerable people have a voice and that she shows them real love and true friendship. I pray she never sees color lines or economic lines but instead that she simply sees everyone in terms of human lines and that all humans need Jesus.
- ENCOURAGING – I pray she continues to cheer everyone up and to be sensitive in the spirit and minister to the hurting through a smile, a greeting, a hug, a prayer, a song, a “performance”…
- JOYFUL – I pray that she chooses to praise Him and be full of Joy, confidence in Christ, and the peace that passeth all understanding.
- STUDENT – I pray that she loves the word of God deeply and studies it and dwells in it. I want her to love the Word, understand it, and find peace and tranquility in your word. I want her to study to show herself approved.
- WORSHIPPER – I want her to love the House of God and see is at a refuge and a place for hurting souls to come together for strength, healing and salvation.
- RIGHTEOUS – I want her prayer everyday to be, “Lord, Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit with in me.”
- FAITHFUL – I want Rosie to one day stand before JESUS Christ and for her to hear Him say, “…Well done, thou good and faithful servant (Rosie): thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” Matthew 25:21
This is the list we have begun praying continually for our Rosie. We would love to hear your lists for your children in the comment section below.