We will be taking a break from our daily scheduled posts this week to launch the “Faith Work 101” sermon series that can be used as a back to school series for your church, student ministry or personal devotion. This message was originally preached at Adrian United by David Morehead on 8-15-10.
Last Sunday we started a series on Faithwork, our title was “Talking to God 101.” We talked about how our picture of God affects the way that we pray to Him. Adrian United is taking a more deliberate approach in prayer, through 1) our daily devotions, 2) 9:15 am prayer on Sunday morning and 3) a weekly commitment to pray for Adrian United. However, Prayer is only the first step:
THINGS I’VE LEARNED ABOUT GOD’S WORD
A.W. Tozer stated, “Prayer is never an acceptable substitute for obedience.” Wow, what a thought! Our prayer life must be help accountable to the Word of God. Today we are going to talk about how God’s Word can and will influence our lives.
I have a library full of exciting books that I love to read and research to learn more about God and life. The books in my library vary greatly. With this thought in mind, I started thinking about the different types of books that could be used as metaphors for God’s Word. Let’s take a look at this Biblical library:
1) DICTIONARY: A BOOK THAT LISTS WORDS AND GIVES THEIR MEANING
The Bible is like a dictionary. You go to the Bible to DEFINE your life and your worldview. Many people try to find meaning from other sources then go to God’s Word hoping to get validation for their presuppositions, but our spiritual journey does not work that way.
- LIFE VERSE: “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
2) ATLAS: A BOOK OF MAPS OR CHARTS
Once we find the definition of ourselves in God’s Word we can then use the Bible to help us get from our sinful nature to the place that God is trying to bring us to.
- LIFE VERSE: Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me. (Psalms 119:133)
3) COMMENTARY: A SET OF EXPLANATORY
NOTES ON A TEXT
As a senior at IBC I was having lunch with the leadership of the music department. We were having an intense Biblical debate. I was a theology major so I thought I was smarter than the music people and I said to Bro. Lindel Anderson, “One commentary writer states, . . . (blah, blah, blah) then Bro. Anderson, who I had completely underestimated stated, “Well Bro. Morehead (In his unique southern accent) the greatest commentary on the Bible is the Bible and the Bible says . . .”, He then began quoting scripture after scripture. I left there knowing two things 1) never judge a cd, I mean book by it’s cover and 2) scripture stands alone and it can interpret itself.
- LIFE VERSE: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (2 Peter 1:19-21)
BIBLICAL METAPHORS OF GOD’S WORD
- A SWORD– For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)
- A LAMP– Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (Psalms 119:105)
- SEED – Now the parable is this: The seedis the word of God. (Luke 8:11)
- SILVER– The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. (Psalm 12:6)
- FIRE / HAMMER– Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? (Jeremiah 23:29)
- HONEY– How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! (Psalms 119:103)
GOD’S WORDS ARE . . .
- POWERFUL– By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. (Psalms 33:6)
- PERFECT– As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him. (Psalms 18:30)
- EXALTED– I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name. (Psalms 138:2)
- EFFECTIVE– So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11)
- TO BE OBEYED– But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it. (Luke 11:28)
SCRIPTURES ON GOD’S WORD
- THE AUTHORITY OF SCRIPTURE: 1 Thessalonians 1:5, 2 Timothy 3:16, Psalm 119:50, John 1:1-5, John 1:14
- THE CLEANSING AND TRIUMPH OF HIS WORD: Psalm 1:1-3, Psalm 119:9-11, Ephesians 5:25-27, John 17:17, John 15:3
- GOD’S WORD IS ETERNAL: Isaiah 40:8, 1 Peter 1:23
- OBEY THE WHOLE TRUTH: Joshua 1:8-9, Psalm 119:11, John 14:23 James 1:21
- YOU MUST SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES: 2 Timothy 2:15, Acts 17:10-12, John 5:39
- DELIGHT IN GOD’S WORD: Psalm 119:147-148, Psalm 119:14-16, Jeremiah 20:7-9
FAITH WORKS 101 SERIES
LESSON ONE: PRAYER 101
LESSON TWO: GOD’S WORD 101
LESSON THREE: UNITY 101
LESSON FOUR: SERVICE 101
LESSON FIVE: EVANGELISM 101