We will be taking a break from our daily scheduled posts this week to launch the “Faith Work 101” sermon series that can be used as a back to school series for your church, student ministry or personal devotion. This message was originally preached at Adrian United by David Morehead on 8-8-10.
Yesterday, August 7th, I turned 35 years old. I realize that I am still a young man, but this past week I have been reflecting on 35 things that I have learned in my short life. Since this is August, the month before school starts and a month before our family month begins, I believe that it is fitting that we examine what it takes to be prepared spiritually. For the next couple of weeks we are going to take a school theme of learning and what it takes to be prepared. I will discuss five things each week that I have discovered on my life journey coupled with a Biblical principle.
THINGS I’VE LEARNED ABOUT GOD
We will start this series by studying what it takes to communicate with God in prayer. I believe that in order to understand prayer we must first determine our views about God. Below are five principles that I have learned about God that have shaped my convictions of prayer.
1) GOD IS GOD AND I AM NOT ~ BRO. MOONEY
When I attended Indiana Bible College, president Rev. Paul Mooney stated nearly every time he preached that, “God is God and I am not!” Due to this conviction, I write a resignation letter nearly every week that goes something like this, “Dear God, I now resign from being God! I can no longer handle this enormous responsibility. I cannot fix people, the economy, or anything else. I now ask you to resume your responsibilities of being God and grant me wisdom to follow you!”
- LIFE VERSE: Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? 8. If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. 9. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; 10. Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. (Psalms 139:7-10)
2) GOD IS NOT MULTIPLE CHOICE
We are living in a Christian culture where many people are trading off the long founded Biblical truths that they have been taught for years. There seem to be no absolutes anymore. Even salvation principles are no longer sacred. If we truly believe in the power of prayer, then we must believe in an unchanging God. We cannot have faith in a God that changes with every new philosophy
- LIFE VERSE: Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)
3) GOD IS FAITHFUL
When I was 25 years old I sat down and created a list of 100 things I desired to accomplish in my life. Some of them I have accomplished and others I have not. I desired to have a Godly woman as my wife, a child that would love the Lord and the privilege to pastor a church of God’s people. God has brought me on a roller coaster journey, but I am so blessed to have Sis. Bobbi as my wife, and Rose “Petal” Marie as my daughter and have Adrian United call me pastor.
- LIFE VERSE: I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (Hebrews 13:5)
4) A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD TAKES
A relationship with God is built with consistency. I have also seen that our relationship with Him is lost through the lack of consistency. Our relationship does not crumble with one missed service, one day of missed prayer, one bad attitude. No, our relationship is broken down with God slowly over time. The Christian band, Casting Crowns has a song entitled, “Slow Fade,” that sums this idea up perfectly:
It’s a slow fade when you give yourself away
It’s a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
And thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day . . . IT’S A SLOW FADE
Be careful little ears what you hear
I desire to build my relationship with God on a daily basis through prayer and His Word.
- LIFE VERSE: For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inwardman is renewed day by day. (2 Corinthians 4:16)
5) GOD IS FOR US
Many of us have a “cosmic cop” image of God that He is out to get us, but I am learning to change my presupposition of God to know that HE IS FOR ME. When I approach Him I can come with BOLDNESS knowing that He is on my side and has my best interest in mind.
- LIFE VERSE: What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? (Romans 8:31)
TALKING TO GOD 101
Mark 1:35 And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed. 36. And Simon and they that were with him followed after him. 37. And when they had found him, they said unto him, All men seek for thee. 38. And he said unto them, Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also: for therefore came I forth. 39. And he preached in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and cast out devils.
- PRAYER IS THE FIRST THING JESUS DOES
- HE HAS A PERSONAL PRIVATE PLACE TO PRAY
- PEOPLE FOLLOWED HIM WHEN HE PRAYED
- THEY WENT FROM PRAYER TO THEIR MISSION
WAYS FOR US TO PRAY AT AU
- HAVE A PERSONAL PRIVATE PLACE TO PRAY
- JOIN SUNDAY MORNING PRAYER AT 9:15
- SIGN UP FOR A DAY TO PRAY FOR FAMILY MONTH
FAITH WORKS 101 SERIES
LESSON ONE: PRAYER 101
LESSON TWO: GOD’S WORD 101
LESSON THREE: UNITY 101
LESSON FOUR: SERVICE 101
LESSON FIVE: EVANGELISM 101