Philippians 1:25 And having this CONFIDENCE, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith;
Starting today we are going to start a Topical Sermon Series on the book of Philippians, looking through the Apostle Paul’s perspective of Joy. This sermon is about the different places God wants to bring joy into your life. We first must determine what joy is and what joy is not:
1) DESCRIBING JOY:
- It’s a simple word that somehow defies description on a broad scale because it is so specific to each person’s life and spirit. Joy can be described as: A tremble of intense delight and hope that never wavers, but keeps resonating. Joy can be a feeling of elation over an accomplishment, Our own. Or that of a loved one. Joy can also be a moment of deep satisfaction or peace. For others, joy is a sense of relief at having survived the unimaginable.
2) LIVING JOY:
- When we claim a faith based in God as central to our daily living joy takes on another whole meaning. Joy is built into the promise of God’s love and faithfulness. Biblical images of this very thing are abundant:
- David dancing with his people;
- Mary and Elizabeth sharing the news of their children’s impending arrivals;
- Paul’s letters to the NT churches expresses his JOY IN THEIR LOVE OF CHRIST.
3) WHAT JOY IS NOT:
- JOY IS NOT FOUND IN RICHES – Paul at most times had very little
- JOY IS NOT FOUND IN A PLACE – Paul wrote this letter from prison
- JOY IS NOT FOUND IN A PRESTIGE – Paul was a Roman
- JOY IS NOT FOUND IN PEOPLE – Paul stated, “I have no man likeminded.”
- (Podcast: DriveTime Devotionals; Episode: Philippians: Week 1 Day 1)
HOW COULD HE STILL PREACH A MESSAGE OF JOY?
Philippians 1:25 AND HAVING THIS CONFIDENCE, I KNOW THAT I SHALL ABIDE AND CONTINUE WITH YOU ALL FOR YOUR FURTHERANCE AND JOY OF FAITH; 26. That your REJOICING MAY BE MORE ABUNDANT in Jesus Christ for me by my coming to you again. 27. Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel.
THE SOURCE OF PAUL CONFIDENCE
Having confidence and joy in the Lord, doesn’t mean we are to live in denial of our circumstances, rather, it is recognizing that we can take everything to the Lord and that He is more than willing, and the only one who is able to help us through with lasting results.
How can we achieve this confidence?
- Reading God’s word
- Surrendering your will to His
- Surrounding yourself with strong Christians who will endure with you
I’VE GOT CONFIDENCE (Andrea Crouch)
When trouble is in my way
I can’t tell the night from day
I toss from side to side
Like a ship on a raging tide
I don’t worry and I don’t fret
God has never failed me yet
Troubles comin’ from time to time
But that’s all right,
’cause I’m not the worrying kind
Because I, I’ve got confidence,
God is gonna see me through
No matter what the case may be
I know He’s gonna fix it for me
JOIN WITH JOY
One can choose to be joyful. It is a choice that can made everyday. I find many things to be joyful about during the day, and you can too. Look around you to find what can prompt you to be joyful. Do it. Make a choice to be joyful. Make a choice to embrace the moment, to enjoy the moment. ‘Enjoy’ is a word that means to join with joy. So if you en-joy someone or something, you are joining to them for that moment with joy. To enjoy life is to join with life with joy. To enjoy soccer game is to join the game and the fun with joy. To enjoy moment-by-moment the life that you are building is to join to each moment that you find yourself in with joy. Fun, isn’t it!! You can create joyful moments and carry these with you wherever you go. Enjoy the worship, Enjoy the salvation, enjoy giving to the Lord, enjoy the witnessing, enjoy the body of believers! Joy is something to be shared and savored. When your pool of joy is filled up, empty it all out in another moment and for another encounter. Working With The Energy Of Joy Posted: 04-06-2006
John 15:11-13 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and THAT YOUR JOY MIGHT BE FULL. 12. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. 13. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
CHOOSE JOY SERIES
- 1) THE CONFIDENCE OF JOY
- 2) THE DEFENSE OF JOY
- 3) JOY IN RELATIONSHIPS
- 4) JOY AT HOME
- 5) JOY IN CIRCUMSTANCES