I love providing memories for students! I tried to listen to our students and discover things they wanted do or be involved in. I then tried to prayerfully balance that against what they needed. As Youth Pastor of X-treme Se7en Student Ministries our students asked for a replacement type event for prom. They wanted to be able to have one event a year where they would dress up really nice for and come together and do something wholesome together. After discussion with our leadership team we decided to reward our students for their accomplishments and participation in our student ministry.
THE SET UP
We hosted a red carpet awards ceremony for X-treme Seven Student Ministries. When the students entered the room we literally had a red carpet that went down the middle of our student facility. We had tablecloths and elaborate centerpieces on each table. We paid the little extra money and purchased the china looking disposable plates and the fancy forks and spoons. A parent loaned us their crystal punch bowl. We did everything we could do to make it look fancy and exciting. The stage was decorated with silver balloons and stars that were hanging from the platform. Throughout the night we talked about the stars of our student ministry.
We had printed very nice award certificates that were awarded to each student. They were printed on very nice paper and placed in award covers that we had purchased from Staples. We called each student up one by one and our team of student leaders were on the platform and hugged each one of them, and gave them their award. Everyone began to cheer and clap for each student. We said nice things about each student and made them feel great about themselves and our ministry.
Every one received an award! There was not one student in the house that did not get an award. We had many different designations of awards as well as three levels of awards:
- We awarded and honored our adult leadership team
- We awarded and honored our student leadership team
- We awarded and honored ALL of the students
Since we were awarding “stars of our ministry”, we decided to name each award after Biblical Stars.
- THE RUTH AWARD FOR FAITHFULNESS (Ruth 1:16)
- THE MARTHA AWARD FOR SERVANTHOOD (Multi-Media, Student Teachers, Nursery Workers) John 12:2
- THE DAVID AWARD FOR WORSHIP (CLARK – The Band; X-Cite – The Praise Team; X-alt – The Drama Team) Psalms 150:1-6
- THE HANNAH AWARD FOR PRAYER WARRIORS (1 Samuel 2:1)
- THE MARY AWARD FOR COMPASSION (John 12:3)
- THE BARNABAS AWARD FOR DISCIPLESHIP (Acts 9:26-27)
- THE TITUS AWARD (Seniors graduating and Students moving away) 2 Corinthians 7:6
- AARON AND HUR AWARDS FOR ADULT LEADERS (Exodus 17:12)
Over the years I have walked into homes, business offices, etc and have seen these rewards displayed as their most treasured items. I believe you reap what you reward. We decided to reward positive behavior and as a result we reaped ministry minded students.